Copyright (c) 2009-2014, English Creek Baptist Church. All rights reserved.
FIND US ON:
In 1949, the missions committee at the First
Baptist Church in Newport sponsored a tent revival next to the Joe Kyker store
building in the English Creek Community. Rev. Jess Johnson was the evangelist. Rev. C. O. Binkley, Associational Missionary, helped the English Creek
Community in a survey to see if it would be feasible to organize a Baptist
Mission. As a result of the first revival, another revival, led by Rev. Lowell
Milburn from the First Baptist Church was held in the store building. On the
closing night of this revival, October 14, 1952, a mission was established.
Before this time, an important religious need in the
community was filled by Rev. L. L. Brown, a faith missionary to the Great
Smokey Mountains Area. He had begun a Sunday School which had been meeting at
the English Creek School on Sunday afternoons. Rev. O. W. Hare also held Sunday School classes at the school.
After English Creek Mission was established, Rev. Carl
Ogle, then a ministerial student at Carson Newman College, was called as the
first pastor on October 14, 1952. He led the church to become self-supporting,
instead of a mission of First Baptist.
Joe Kyker furnished the old store building with seats,
a piano, and repaired the building for the congregation. He deeded the store
building and adjacent lot to the church "for as long as a Missionary
Baptist Church remains on the property with remaining interest in the Southern
On August 20, 1953, the
church became self-supporting with 25 charter members and became a member of the East Tennessee Baptist Association. The church voted to build the
present auditorium, which was completed in 1954.
In 1993, the church added a baptistery, a new fellowship hall, and expanded education space, along with updating the sanctuary with new lights, stained glass windows, new carpet, and new padded pews. The old store building is still being used for Children's Church.
Our Church's History
Carl Ogle: Oct. 14, 1952 - June 27, 1954
Harroll: Sept. 5, 1954 - Feb. 1957
Frank Campbell: April 14, 1957 - June 15, 1958
Jim Holmes: July 17, 1958 -
April 24, 1960
Norman Livengood: July 3,
1960 - June 3, 1962
David Smith: Oct. 1,
1962 - Aug. 26, 1964
James C. Franklin: May 28. 1965 - May 1, 1973
White: July 29, 1973 - March 31,1985
Charles Hobbs (Interim): 1985-1986
Patric Fife: 1987 - 1990
Charles Hobbs (Interim): 1990-1991
Steven Smith: Jan. 1, 1992 - Oct. 2008
Kerry Powell (Interim): Nov. 2008 - Aug. 2009
Brian Parrish: July 1, 2009 - Nov. 3, 2013
Our Pastors Through the Years